vrijdag 8 juni 2012

"another stolen relic "

Yes the title refers to the amazing scene in which Loki confronts Odin.
ahum... yes... Well this blog isn't really about that scene.
IT IS, however, about Loki's oh so awesome helmet.
Which balances between rediculously looking and friggin awesome.

So, Now that my goldsmith classes are over, I have an entire day off.
So, I go shopping ?
Oh hell no!
I go to the atelier and make stuff for myself! hoeza!



So, I think you can guess what I started on.
Yes, a cute little Loki helmet!
I 'studied ' on the designs of that helmet for a while, to understand just how it was made.
And I must say it's CRAZY! however, I managed to make a little design that's simple enough to make it in the size of a pendant.
Also, I discovered that the helmet Loki wears in Thor is actually very different from the helmet in The Avengers. I never really payed much attention to it until now.
Loki's helmet in Thor is more ' knight ' looking, it's less detailed than Loki's helmet in The Avengers.
Which ofcourse, perfectly makes sense. Loki in Thor is seen standing between all the other soldiers in Asgard, and they all wear the exact same outfit as Loki ( plus helmet )
In The Avengers of course, he's dressed more like a God-king. So, ofcourse the helmet is a lot more detailed.

ANYWAY. So ofcourse, To make it possible to make, I focussed on the helmet he wears in Thor.
Yet, even that one is still a bit too difficult to make in such a small size.
However, I'll do my very best to make it look as much alike as possible.
It won't be a problem to make it recognisable though. with the horns and all.... 

So, first thing I had to ask myself was : How to start on this ! How do I make this helmet without making it too difficult for myself!
The trick is too see the helmet in rough lines. The helmet itself is actually, a square. And the base is nothing more but a simple ring! So hooray! I had my starting point, and now up to the rest!
This, is what I came up with :




















I managed to see it in 9 steps. So, I've started on making this piece as well.
I'm aware I will run into some trouble along the way, for this is the first time I'm making something like this, and I'm pretty sure there are easier/better ways to get this done.
Luckely my boss is right beside me when working on this.
The part I'm most worried about is the one in which I actually make seperate pieces, that are on itself, made out of more than one part .
And then, I have to putt all those pieces together, and solder it.
however those seperate peices had some soldering done as well... So... it will get diccult to solder it nicely without ruining my previous soldering.
Plus the edges have to stay sharp! So I'll have to ' blind ' solder. It's a technique in which you place the solder underneath a piece, and so when you heat it you have to ' feel ' when the solder has melted.

Anyway, Like I've said, I have my boss right beside me to help me out when things get rough.
here are some teasers from the making off :

From ring.....


To a rough helmet shape



The base of the helmet is 20 mm on 20 mm. So it's not too tiny... ( if I made it any smaller it was going to get too difficult to make it as detailed as possible )

Can't wait to get back to it....

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten